FDR famously said, “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself”...so why are you still afraid of switching your personal injury firm to the cloud? Maybe it’s because you’re not really sure what the cloud is, or maybe you’re wary of change…whatever the reason, unless you’re retiring, your reasons are unfounded. The cloud is the technology of the present and any PI firm that waits to employ it, risks being left in the past. That’s why we’re here—to correct any misinformation you may have about the cloud (cause there’s a lot) and ease your transition into a future full of efficiency and success.
Before we begin, what is the cloud? See you’re judging something you know nothing about. Basically, anytime you store or access data over the internet instead of locally (e.g. your desktop), you’re using the cloud. Have you watched Netflix? You’ve used the cloud. Streamed an Ariana Grande song? Used the cloud. Accidentally liked an ex’s post from 67 weeks ago? Yikes…cloud.
That was awkward…but now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s quash some common misconceptions about the cloud so you can stop messing around and start plotting your wins.
1) “The cloud is too new to adopt.” Guess what? You’ve already adopted it, because the cloud has been around for years (see above re: liking your ex’s post). Cloud tech is a pervasive part of your everyday life and it’s evolving at a furious rate. Refusing to switch to the cloud is akin to dropping letters off at the post office, when a simple email or text message will do.
2) “The cloud is only for personal use.” No way. The cloud may enhance your movie watching experience, but it’s absolutely essential for your modern-day PI firm. The cloud increases your collaboration and efficiency, prevents you from rushing into the office on the weekends, and allows you to best serve your clients (who, by the way, are already on the cloud).
3) “The cloud is hard to use.” Only on “opposite day.” As we’ve mentioned before, the cloud already powers your life (from your social media to your binge watching) so it’s very easy to integrate into your PI practice. This familiarity translates into an entire staff that can be productive from the get go—without hours of training or a steep learning curve.
4) “We’ve done it like this for years; it’ll be too difficult to switch.” Trust us…it’ll be more difficult once your competitors pass you by. And switching is super easy. All you need to get started is a laptop and an internet connection; not to mention, your entire case history can be moved to the cloud in a single weekend —so go ahead, put down that back brace and finish your grocery shopping, instead.
5) “We’re doing fine without the cloud; we don’t need it.” The Trojans thought they were doing fine too…until the Greeks surprised them with the Trojan horse. While your firm may be doing “fine,” fine shouldn’t be the standard you’re going for. When you bring cloud technology into the gates of your firm, you’ll be doing a lot better than fine...in fact, the only surprise will be how you ever survived without it. So switch to the cloud and ensure your firm wins more than just today’s battle.
6) “The cloud only makes sense for larger firms.” Au contraire! The cloud makes sense for all-sized firms, especially smaller firms. The cloud is infrastructure light and has a pay-as-you-go model, so you can grow at your own pace and not be too affected by a couple of off months. Plus, the cloud allows small firms to even the playing field—providing you with a level of efficiency and collaboration once reserved strictly for “the big boys.”
If you’d like to achieve newfound efficiency and collaboration for your PI firm, take our Next-Gen Legal Cloud® for a spin by signing up for a free demo. And if you need more convincing, check back in a week for part 2 of our exposé…we’ll show you 6 more ways you may have been wrong about the cloud—and how you can right the ship by switching to CloudLex®.